Total Pageviews

Sunday 20 December 2009

Doyen of the Downs

2 weeks since this fantastic event, of which I ran in 2008 and 2009....still one of my favourite races.

luckily there is a you tube video of part of the event which goes some way to demonstrating the tough and muddy terrain that was encountered on the day. It was slower for me this year, as a group of us got lost for 2 miles and ended the day with the Garmin showing close to 32 miles. 5.02 put me in 41st spot, 17 mins slower than last year. It was bloody muddy though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hgWh7EMNjs

and I have some photos on Flickr.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crustyscumbrothersontour/4164219562/

It was great to hook up in the Black Rabbit for a couple of ciders and a post match commentary from Jerry, George and Mike from Orpington Road Runners and also my running mate and superstar Jon Mackenzie. Old Mac is doing the MDS in the spring and he pipped me by just a few minutes as usual. Great to see Capricorn Sue and UltraFlynn (twice in a row on the finish line fella!)

However the ITB has surfaced as only my 3rd ever injury in the last couple of days. Never mind, I will be donning the XC waffles on tuesday and running around Mersea Island (13 miles) in the wind and snow for a spot of training rather than going to the running club (www.dulwichparkrunners.com) and then it is to Snowdonia on boxing day arvo and there will be some good runners in our 14 strong party to gee me up Cader and Snowdon.

Reading Joss Naylor's biography I noted that he held the record for Snowdon in the 3 peaks challenge of 3560ft in 44 minutes and that was after Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis, all in 11 hours and 54 mins......not forgetting the 21 min descent! I don't think that with the speed restrictions and cameras on the roads that this feat will ever be repeated. The OS website says that a walk to the summit is a round 5 hours so will be pleased to run it in about 2 1/2 hours for the round trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment