Total Pageviews

Sunday 21 February 2010

Not the Brighton Half


40 Cans of Fosters and a Pie, originally uploaded by ultraBobban.
Well as a spectator I have watched more races than I have raced in this year. Having said that, I have enjoyed being on the other side of the lens for a few of these runs. Brighton Half would have been my 5th race of the year but was my 3rd one out. Hence feeling a bit rubbish....like the photo.

Rather than rant on about how I feel, I am really proud of a shed load of the running club who turned out today in the freezing rain and wind for Brighton half. Luckily we had just finished our cups of tea in the Tic Toc cafe and a brisk walk into the rain down the Laines and to the seafront under the Concorde and not even time to set up the camera and Tom W screeched past and with a huge cry of TOMMMMMMM! he shouted back FUUUCCKKK as he obliterated his PB by 8 minutes. Wow. He looked absolutely ready to tackle the DPR club record of 2.44 for the marathon and I am sure he will do it. Next came George and I am ultra proud of him. He whizzed past with the biggest grin on his face and hands up over the line although the driving rain prevented him from the usual Rhino Warrior chest bearing ceremony! 1.37 and 3 mins off his PB so a superb run. Lots of DPRites came past although we didn't see everyone in the 6,199 strong race contingent. Tom and me cheered home as many as we saw, with the Lanky one looking really fetching in Susie's 5ft1 framed fleece. A "special" moment of ridiculousness but totally needed. Astrid in her first half clocked a brilliant 2.05 and I am sure she will be out to scalp the 2.00 hr mark soon. Chris and Penny missed the start and ran together in 2.13 but were probably a bit faster on the chip times. Susie blasted home in 2.16 but then went for a walk to Simi's house about 20 mins away, only to be found on the doorstep with a purple complexion, shivering and only thawing out with a hot soup and tea in the Hop Poles. On which point I must mention the thoroughly lovely roast lamb with 9 different veg and a pint of Stowford Press. Last pint in a pub for a while as am feeling like the abstinence really really felt good and was sooo good for my running.

Now before you ask...the photo was not my consumption! This was from mine and Charlies "Grime and Punishment" photography session on the first day of half term and this was a funky squatted street not far from the Dogstar on Coldharbour Lane, Brixton. The recycling was the only virtous experience for these Vicars!!

Anyway, back to the CPSIC for more treatment on Wednesday and looking forward to the first tentative miles in the build up to what looks like the Black Dog in April. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment