Total Pageviews

Saturday 8 May 2010

Ready for the summer

Decided this morning on waking up that the best thing not to do would be the Orpington marathon. Perhaps it was the thought of unlucky "13" or the prospect of running down the A21, the fact that there were just 24 competitors last year. Maybe it was the notion that Eric was not running or even the remote possibility that my legs were empty and I had 3 ciders last night. Anyway I opted for a nice chatty 12 with Isidro from the club and heling out at the beginners. A new Haglofs top for my birthday from mum got a good outing and is very comfortable (along with a Ronhill Singlet...cheers Mum!), as are the Sunwise sunglasses, although I opted to leave these at home today. Owing to a metal fence post on the Neolithic marathon I am awaiting my new Asics Cumulus 11s to arrive and to top this off, I am heading off to Decathlon for some new shorts as mine are shot to bits in the nether regions as spotted by Immune on Sunday! Enough of shopping!

85.45km this week and a busy week at work so quite pleased with that.

Dave Immune has sent me the training plan for the Ridgeway 85 and I am feeling confident after our chat at Neolithic last week. at the moment, 50 miles a week until the end of May is the schedule. June will see a gradual hike from 60 to 65 miles a week and we should be on 70 miles a week by July, peaking at 85 miles in the first week of August. This fits right in with my summer 6 weeks holidays so I am happy.

I have runs coming up that I have entered and club runs:

Green Belt relay: 22/23 May
Dulwich Park Runners Summer League 6 June
South Downs Marathon 12 June
Eltham 5 13 June (plus run there and back, 7 each way)
Mersea round the island 13

and have further plans to run South Downs Ultra and at least 4 more marathons. I am not planning on running in excess of 30ish miles for my longest runs owing to recovery time but am planning to run at least 10 miles the day following a marathon.

I am looking forward to the Mersea round the island half as it is a nice course, apart from the first mile and a half on sand and the penultimate mile on sand. Last year I found my Dad waiting at the finish line with a can of Carlsberg Export. Fantasitc! No wonder I did a PB

1 comment:

  1. Rob, you probably did the right thing by not doing the Orpington run, a lot of people have grumbled it is a short course measuring a miserable 25.6 miles.

    This is just "end of race gossip" but enough people have said it now for me to believe it.

    ReplyDelete