Total Pageviews

Friday 7 January 2011

7 days of looking after myself

Well it is rude to start the NEw Year without giving up something. Without what would be building up to somewhere between 50-60 miles on a normal January week getting ready for the Tanners and the Thames Trot 50, I find that the rest from alcohol and the limitation to one coffee a day, reduction of red meat and other animal fats has rendered me rather healthy.
Janathon enters week 2 tomorrow and today was a good day. Having had a rest yesterday, I took to my local park between rainstorms and then did some serious crutching through 2 postal codes. My first half mile was in an incredible 19.52 min pace! People, puddles and some serious incline reduced this to 22.08 for my first mile which did somewhat disappoint me. Was I making excuses for going out too fast. How could I reduce my time? OK, leave the rucksack at home (but how would I carry the milk home?) switch a coat, scarf, gloves and thick trousers and a walking boot for a trail shoe, compression tights, my OMM lightweight jacket and some Gore gloves. I know why I haven't done this. Pride. I would look like a tit. You can get away with it at 7.30 min miles as one is too fast to hear the sneers and comments as one zips past like a rat up a drainpipe. So I settled back to something around 23.00min miles for the next mile on my trusty aluminium crutches. Add that to the scamper around in the evening and I have done a creditworthy 2.3 miles for the day. The downside is having a leg raised for 2 hours afterwards to allow the swelling to go down. I guess this is why the consultant has signed me off for such a while. Janathon lives on!

1 comment:

  1. I'm catching up on a massive backlog of Janathon posts (starting at Z and working my way up the list tonight). It's very impressive that you're not letting a little thing like tibial fractures stand in your way of participating!

    ReplyDelete